Sunday, September 22, 2019

Teach me, LORD, the meaning of your laws, and I will obey them at all times.

TODAY'S SCRIPTURE: PSALM 119:33
TODAY'S READING:
Determination to Obey the Law of the Lord
25I lie defeated in the dust;
revive me, as you have promised.
26I confessed all I have done, and you answered me;
teach me your ways.
27Help me to understand your laws,
and I will meditate on your wonderful teachings.
28I am overcome by sorrow;
strengthen me, as you have promised.
29Keep me from going the wrong way,
and in your goodness teach me your law.
30I have chosen to be obedient;
I have paid attention to your judgments.
31I have followed your instructions, Lord;
don't let me be put to shame.
32I will eagerly obey your commands,
because you will give me more understanding.
A Prayer for Understanding
33Teach me, Lord, the meaning of your laws,
and I will obey them at all times.
34Explain your law to me, and I will obey it;
I will keep it with all my heart.
35Keep me obedient to your commandments,
because in them I find happiness.
36Give me the desire to obey your laws
rather than to get rich.
37Keep me from paying attention to what is worthless;
be good to me, as you have promised.
38Keep your promise to me, your servant—
the promise you make to those who obey you.
39Save me from the insults I fear;
how wonderful are your judgments!
40I want to obey your commands;
give me new life, for you are righteous.
Trusting the Law of the Lord
41Show me how much you love me, Lord,
and save me according to your promise.
42Then I can answer those who insult me
because I trust in your word.
43Enable me to speak the truth at all times,
because my hope is in your judgments.
44I will always obey your law,
for ever & ever.
45I will live in perfect freedom,
because I try to obey your teachings.
46I will announce your commands to kings
and I will not be ashamed.
47I find pleasure in obeying your commands,
because I love them.
48I respect and love your commandments;
I will meditate on your instructions.
REFLECT:
Reread verses 25-29. For what does the psalmist pray? What does the psalmist promise (verses 30-32)? In what ways do you seek to understand God’s teachings? God gave the Law to Moses shortly after God had set the people free from slavery in Egypt. The Law was intended to help people remain free by worshiping the Lord and living right, including treating one another with justice. The psalmist realizes that perfect freedom comes by obeying God’s teachings (verse 45). Do you feel that obeying God’s teachings provides freedom for you? Why or why not?
#Pray
God of life and freedom, let your teachings breathe new life into me that I may experience your perfect freedom by learning to live according to your will with justice, mercy, and compassion. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment