Saturday, September 21, 2019

I praise you, O LORD; teach me your ways.

TODAY'S READING:
The Law of the Lord
1Happy are those whose lives are faultless,
who live according to the law of the Lord.
2Happy are those who follow his commands,
who obey him with all their heart.
3They never do wrong;
they walk in the Lord's ways.
4Lord, you have given us your laws
and told us to obey them faithfully.
5How I hope that I shall be faithful
in keeping your instructions!
6If I pay attention to all your commands,
then I will not be put to shame.
7As I learn your righteous judgments,
I will praise you with a pure heart.
8I will obey your laws;
never abandon me!
Obedience to the Law of the Lord
9How can young people keep their lives pure?
By obeying your commands.
10With all my heart I try to serve you;
keep me from disobeying your commandments.
11I keep your law in my heart,
so that I will not sin against you.
12I praise you, O Lord;
teach me your ways.
13I will repeat aloud
all the laws you have given.
14I delight in following your commands
more than in having great wealth.
15I study your instructions;
I examine your teachings.
16I take pleasure in your laws;
your commands I will not forget.
Happiness in the Law of the Lord
17Be good to me, your servant,
so that I may live and obey your teachings.
18Open my eyes, so that I may see
the wonderful truths in your law.
19I am here on earth for just a little while;
do not hide your commands from me.
20My heart aches with longing;
I want to know your judgments at all times.
21You reprimand the proud;
cursed are those who disobey your commands.
22Free me from their insults and scorn,
because I have kept your laws.
23The rulers meet and plot against me,
but I will study your teachings.
24Your instructions give me pleasure;
they are my advisers.
REFLECT:
Today’s passage reflects on the ways in which God’s law encourages the living of a “pure” life (verse 9). Here “pure” is an image for a life that is in keeping with God’s will. What does it mean to you to live a “pure” life and how does that apply to your spiritual life?
#PRAY:
Holy God, I worship you with all my heart. I eagerly seek to understand your teachings and obey your commands. Guide me this day to be obedient to your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment